THE PLANT PRODUCTION INSTITUTE named after V.YA. YURIEV
National Academy of Agrarian Sciences of Ukraine

History of the Institute

The Institution started its history in 1908 as Kharkiv Agricultural Experimental Station. The Station was headed by Professor Petro Vasyliovych Budrin from its foundation till 1913. On December 16, 1909, Vasyl Yakovych Yuriev began working at the Station.

In 1913, the Station was incorporated as an independent department in Kharkiv Regional Agricultural Experimental Station. The Department was headed by V.Ya. Yuriev.

In 1913, the Station and the Field Crop Cultivation Department was headed by Borys Mykolaiovych Rozhdestvenskyi.

In 1913, the following departments were organized: Entomology, Phytopathology, Meteorology, Animal Husbandry, Horticulture.

In 1914, the first expedition was organized, during which 9,000 cereal specimens were collected.

In 1917, the Agrochemistry Department was founded.

In 1920-1923, the first Kharkiv cultivars were created.

In 1929, the Station was reorganized in the Ukrainian Scientific - Research Institute of Grain Farming. In 1929, Abram Samoilovych Etinhen became the Head of the Institution.

In 1932-1933, the Institute of Grain Farming was relocated to Dnipropetrovsk.

In April 1933, based on the Breeding Department of the Institute of Grain Farming, an independent institution was founded - Kharkiv Breeding Station of the Seed Producers’ Union of the People's Commissariat of Agriculture the USSR. The Station was headed by Vasyl Ivanovych Solodovnyk.

On October 1, 1934, the Station was reorganized in Kharkiv Regional Station of Beet Growing with the Breeding Department.

On August 2, 1937, based on the Regional Station of Beet Growing, Kharkiv State Breeding Station of the Central Cultivar Administration of the People's Commissariat of Agriculture the USSR.

From 1938 to 1939, the Station was headed by Fedir Ivanovych Burdeniuk, and from 1939 to 1944 - Semen Ivanovych Oleinikov.

In 1940, a group of authors published the first edition of the manual "General Breeding and Seed Production."

In September 1941, the Station ceased operations because of the World War II. On September 23, 1941, the Station was evacuated on Kamyshyn Breeding Station. On August 23, 1942, the Station was evacuated to Chelyabinsk State Breeding Station.

On August 28, 1943, the State Breeding Station was reopened in Kharkiv.

In 1944, Vasyl Yakovych Yuriev became the Head of Kharkiv State Breeding Station.

On December 21, 1945, the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences of the UkrSSR issued a decree to found the Institute of Genetics and Breeding of AS of the UkrSSR.

In March 1946, Kharkiv State Breeding Station was passed under the control of the Ministry of Agriculture of the USSR and was renamed as Kharkiv State Breeding Station of the Central Cultivar Administration of the Ministry of Agriculture of the USSR. On July 1, 1946, the Institute of Genetics and Breeding of AS of the UkrSSR started working.

In 1956, based on the Institute of Genetics and Breeding of AS of the UkrSSR and Kharkiv State Breeding Station, the Ukrainian Scientific - Research Institute of Plant Production, Breeding and Genetics of the Ministry of Agriculture of the UkrSSR was created.

On June 29, 1959, in connection with the 50th anniversary of the foundation, the Ukrainian Scientific - Research Institute of Plant Production, Breeding and Genetics was awarded the Order of Lenin.

On February 8, 1962, there was a heavy loss for the Institute - Academician Vasyl Yakovych Yuriev died.

In 1962, Doctor of Biological Sciences Illia Mykhailovych Poliakov became the Head of the Institute.

In 1962, the Ukrainian Scientific - Research Institute of Plant Production, Breeding and Genetics was named after Academician V.Ya. Yuriev.

From 1970 to 1992, the Institute of Plant Production, Breeding and Genetics named after V.Ya. Yuriev was a part of the Southern Branch of the All-Union Academy of Agricultural Sciences named after V.I. Lenin.

From 1973 to 1991, the Institute of Plant Production, Breeding and Genetics named after V.Ya. Yuriev was headed by Doctor of Agricultural Sciences Borys Petrovych Huriev.

From 1991 to 1992, the Institute of Plant Production, Breeding and Genetics named after V.Ya. Yuriev was headed by Doctor of Agricultural Sciences Anatolii Mykhailovych Shevchenko.

In 1992, the Institution got its current name – Plant Production Institute named after V.Ya. Yuriev and became a part of the Ukrainian Academy of Agrarian Sciences.

From 1992 to 2000, the Plant Production Institute named after V.Ya. Yuriev was headed Candidate of Agricultural Sciences Leonid Viktorovych Bondarenko.

From 1992 to 1995, the System of Plant Genetic Resources of Ukraine headed by the National Center for Plant Genetic Resources of Ukraine (NCPGRU), which was established at the Plant Production Institute named after V.Ya. Yuriev, was formed.

From 2000 to 2012, the Plant Production Institute named after V.Ya. Yuriev was headed by Doctor of Agricultural Sciences Academician Viktor Vasyliovych Kyrychenko.

In 2000, according to the joint Order of the Ukrainian Academy of Agrarian Sciences and Kharkiv Regional State Administration, the Center for Scientific Support of Agribusiness in the Kharkivska Oblast was organized.

On December 25, 2002, the staff of the Plant Production Institute nd. a. V.Ya. Yuryev of UAAS was awarded with a Certificate of Merit by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.

In 2012, the Plant Production Institute nd. a. V.Ya. Yuriev of NAAS of Ukraine became the main institution of the Left-Bank Forest-Steppe Research and Innovation Center of the National Academy of Agrarian Sciences.

The Institute is the main institution of the Center for Scientific Support of Agribusiness in the Kharkivska Oblast.

From 2012 to 2014, the Plant Production Institute nd. a. V.Ya. Yuriev of NAAS of Ukraine was headed by Doctor of Agricultural Sciences Serhii Ivanovych Popov.

In 2014, Doctor of Agricultural Sciences, Professor, Academician, Honoured Worker Of Science And Technology of Ukraine Viktor Vasyliovych Kyrychenko became the Head of the Plant Production Institute nd. a. V.Ya. Yuriev.

On September 4, 2020, Doctor of Agricultural Sciences Liubov Nykyforivna Kobyzieva became the Head of the Plant Production Institute nd. a. V.Ya. Yuriev.